Wednesday, September 19, 2012

WEARING SPIRITUAL LENSES




Copyright © 2012 By William Valmyr


15 That’s why, when I heard of the solid trust you have in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the Christians, 16 I couldn’t stop thanking God for you-every time I prayed, I’d think of you and give thanks. 17 But I do more than thank. I ask-ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory-to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, 18 your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life He has for Christians, 19 oh, the utter extravagance of His work in us who trust Him-endless energy, boundless strength!” (Ephesians 1:15-19, The Message)

In a recent conversation with a friend, I began to reflect upon the power of having spiritual sight. In this day and age, one of the greatest assets that a believer can have is the ability to wear spiritual lenses. How often have I looked at my own life circumstances and made an assumption about them? And how often has God the Holy Spirit convicted me of the sin of presumption? We need to seek God for the gifts of discernment and wisdom. If you would be honest with God and others, all of us at some point or another have committed the grievous sins called presumption, and assumption.  People will always be making assumptions, drawing conclusions, and offering suggestions about who you are, what you do and what you need to do. There are many times when such assumptions are untrue and such words of advice will do more harm than good.  

I believe that Christians must be careful not to look at things, situations and others with their carnal eyes or fleshly propensities.  It is my prayer that we would develop the habit of forming positive thoughts concerning God’s plan for your life, your current context and the relationships that God has entrusted and enrich your life with. It is God’s desire that His children learn how to develop the spirit of discernment. “21 Folly is pleasure to him who is without heart and sense, but a man of understanding walks uprightly [making straight his course].” (Proverbs 15:21, Amplified).  It is my prayer that “the God our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory-to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing Him personally, 18 your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is He is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life He has for Christians” (Ephesians 1:17b-18, The Message) I am praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment